Sunday, December 8, 2013

DIY: Cocktail Infusion for 100LC

One of my favorite (and seriously talented) wedding buddies Apryl Ann asked me to collaborate on some foodie DIYs with her for 100 Layer Cake. Our first to hit the blogosphere debuted back in August (ehem, yeah, we are slooooowly catching up on our blogging...)

The subject? Cocktail Infusion! Specifically? Jalepeno-and-Grapefruit-Infused Tequila!

Yes, this is a departure from the world of butter and sugar, but hey, we are still tugging at your vice-filled heart strings, only this time with spice!




{The story behind the DIY}
A couple of years ago I signed up for a cocktail infusion class at Dallas' Oil and Cotton (Have you been there? It's pretty amazing. You should probably go, like, tomorrow.) It was one of those random things that I just saw and signed up for solo without flinching and without much thought. (I guess my instincts really needed a drink!) But man am I happy to have gone. I never hosted the Emily's Cocktailin' Eve of my dreams, (the party where everybody shows up in velvet vests and spectacles, my dining table is turned into a big oak bar with bowls of lemons, and I get to say, "hey, barkeep!" all night to my patient husband, but it was one of those experiences that make you grateful to live in a city, inspired by creative people pursuing eccentric passions, and hours pass experimenting like children and drinking like adults with strangers who become friends by night's end. The class was taught by Ashley North Compton who I'm pretty sure is one of the coolest ladies I've ever met.

Infusion is one of those quirky hobbies I can really get behind. It basically involves seeing the world through "hm, here are some scraps of yummy stuff, what can I make with this?" glasses. It also gives you that fun Chemistry Lab feeling. Not a big drinker? Well, you can use the same process to infuse extracts too and give to all your baking buddies. There are options here. So grab a lab coat/apron and get started making some fun!

The full DIY is up on 100 Layer Cake, so go check them out for our step-by-step guide. Here's some beautiful images from Apryl, who never ceases to amaze me, and our recipe to get you ready for Friday, or Tuesday, if that's your thing!





Infused La Paloma:
- 2 oz. grapefruit + jalapeño infused tequila
- top with club soda
- squeeze of lime
- garnish with grapefruit salt and a slice of jalapeño + lime

How much fun would it be to package these infusions in little bottles and give to bridesmaids, guests, etc. for wedding weekend fun? A fun project for you and your fella to work on together.


Photography: Apryl Ann
Design + Tutorial: Cakewalk Bake Shop
Glass + Coaster: Anthropologie
Bowl + Towel: West Elm
Jars: specialtybottle.com
Fabric: search "vintage fabric squares" on Etsy